Applicants Sought for Two Vacancies on Bowie City Council
The City of Bowie is seeking applicants to fill two upcoming vacancies on the City Council. At-Large Councilmember Ingrid Harrison and District 3 Councilmember Adrian Boafo will be resigning from the City Council in December after being elected to other positions. Ms. Harrison will be sworn in as the County Council representative for District 4 and Mr. Boafo will be one of three delegates representing District 23 in the Maryland House of Delegates. In accordance with the City Charter, Council will appoint their replacements and those individuals will serve until the next City election in November 2023.
There are two vacancies:
- At-Large Councilmember, representing all residents of Bowie;
- District 3 Councilmember, representing the residents of District 3.
Qualifications for applicants are as follows:
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Must have resided in the City of Bowie at least one year;
- Must be a qualified voter in the City;
- For District 3 Councilmember Vacancy: Must currently reside in District 3.
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest and resume to Awilda Hernandez, City Clerk, Bowie City Hall, 15901 Fred Robinson Way, Bowie, MD 20716. Applications will be accepted until the close of business on Friday, December 30, 2022.
City Council will interview each of the applicants on a date to be determined and then make its selection to fill the vacancies in January or early February. According to the City’s Charter, when a Council vacancy occurs less than 15 months before the next election, the City Council shall appoint an individual to fill the vacancy. The appointment requires a favorable vote by a majority of the remaining Councilmembers. When the vacancy occurs 15 months or more before the term ends, the replacement is selected by a special election.
For additional information, please call 301-809-3029 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
According to the City’s Charter, when there is a vacancy on the Council less than 15 months before the next election, the City Council shall appoint an individual to fill the vacancy. The appointment requires a favorable vote by a majority of the remaining Councilmembers. If the vacancy were to occur 15 months or more before the term ends, the replacement shall be selected by a special election. (Since the next election is less than 15 months from now, there will not be a special election.)
District 3 consists of District 3A and 3B. The neighborhoods in each are listed below.
- Allen Pond Townhomes
- Bowie Commons
- Brookdale Woodward Estates (Asst. Living)
- Dixon Crossing
- Enfield Chase (north of Enfield Park)
- Evergreen Estates
- Princeton Square
- Old Stage
- Spring Meadows
- Woodmore Estates
- Woodmore Highlands
- Bowie New Town Center Condos
- Covington (north of Excalibur Road)
- Enfield Chase (south of Enfield Park)
- Evergreen Apartments (Senior Apartments)
- Governors Green Apartments
- Heather Hills
- Heather Ridge Apartments
- Patuxent Overlook
- Pin Oak Village (Senior Apartments)
- Vistas at Bowie
- The Willows (Senior Apartments)
- Woodland Lake Condos
Map of District 3A (pdf)
Map of District 3B (pdf)