New Proposed Bowie Ice Arena (2023)
In the spring of 2023, the City of Bowie hired JLG Architects of Minnesota to design a new single sheet ice arena with the flexibility to expand.
The proposed 49,000-square foot facility is to be built adjacent to the Bowie Golf Course, opposite Rockledge Elementary School along Laurel-Bowie Road (MD 197).
The proposed facility will replace the aging arena currently located in Allen Pond Park.
Artist's Conceptual Design
The initial proposed design is for a one-story, single sheet facility, with an inviting, colorful entrance way.
Please note: Any of the features or specifications depicted in the image may change at the discretion of JLG Architects without notice.
This image may not accurately reflect final construction.
- 1 NHL sized ice rink with spectator seating
- 5 team locker rooms
- 1 official changing room
- a pro shop
- concession stand
- skate rental
- skate changing area
- 2 multi-purpose rooms that can be used for parties, classes and community meetings
View the proposed site plan PDF).
LocationThe new ice skating facility will be built on a city-owned parcel of land adjacent to the existing Bowie Golf Club and across from Rockledge Elementary School off MD Route197.
Why is a New Facility Needed?The current single sheet Bowie Ice Arena is located at Allen Pond Park. That facility was built in the early 1970s and needs to be replaced. There is not enough space at the park to build a new facility in the same location. Once completed, the existing Bowie Ice Arena will cease operations as a skating facility.
- Stakeholders Meeting and Design Presentation by JLG Architects was held at Kenhill Center on November 15, 2023. The video recording of the presentation is available on the City's YouTube channel.
- During the City Council meeting Monday, December 4, 2023, JLG Architects provided a presentation to Council on the status of the current design work for the proposed ice arena.
- The second public Stakeholder's Meeting is January 23, 2024. Stay tuned for more information.
- The second presentation to City Council is scheduled for February 20, 2024.
- The design will be completed in Spring 2024.
- Construction timeframe - to be determined.
Any comments or questions on the project can be directed to the City's Project Manager, Jim Sichelman at firstname.lastname@example.org.