The information provided below is current as of April 9, 2020.
The City of Bowie IcePlex is expected to be completed in the fall of 2021. The facility is being built on the east side of Church Road just north of US 50 and diagonally across from Freeway Airport. An "Ice Breaking" ceremony to celebrate the commencement of work at the site took place October 25, 2019. Costello Construction began work on site March 16, 2020.
- 2 ice rinks with spectator seating
- 8 team locker rooms
- 2 women’s locker rooms
- 2 official changing rooms
- a pro shop
- concession stand with café seating
- lounge space
- skate rental
- skate changing area
- 2 multi-purpose rooms that can be used for parties and community meetings
LocationThe new ice skating facility will be built on a city-owned parcel of land at 4247 Church Road. The site is diagonally across from Freeway Airport.
Why is a New Facility Needed?
The current single sheet Bowie Ice Arena is located at Allen Pond Park. That facility was built in the early 1970s and needs to be replaced. There is not enough space at the park to build a new facility in the same location. Once completed, the existing Bowie Ice Arena will cease operations as a skating facility.
- Target completion date is 2021.
- Construction began in March 2020.
- For nearly three years, Hughes Group Architects have worked with the project manager Hill International, Inc. and the City's Project Management Team to finalize the design and obtain all required permits.
- On July 1, 2019 City Council awarded a construction contract to Costello Construction of Columbia, MD.
At the September 18, 2017 City Council meeting, council members approved a new ice skating facility to be built on Church Road. The facility will be strictly for ice sports and will have two ice rinks. It is expected to cost $24 million to build. On July 1, 2019, the Council awarded a construction contract to Costello Construction. The vote was 5-2.
Traffic Impact Analysis