Electric Lawn Care Rebate Program
Lawn Mower Rebate Program Expands to Include Electric Lawn Care Equipment
Want to lessen your carbon foot print, but aren't necessarily ready to purchase an electric vehicle or to partake in solar? One easy way to help the environment is by using electric lawn care tools. Many brands now have complete suites of yard tools including mowers, weed whackers, hedge trimmers and leaf blowers, with interchangeable batteries that can be used in all pieces of equipment.
- If you purchase an electric mower, you will be eligible for a $50 rebate.
- You're also eligible for $50 rebate if you purchase a mulching or manual mower.
- Each subsequent tool purchased will be eligible for a $25 rebate (one time each).
- Alternatively, if you purchase all four items, the mower, hedge trimmers, weed whacker, and leaf blower, you may receive a $150 rebate.
- Items must be purchased after July 1, 2022. (Mulching, manual and electric mowers are eligible under the original mower rebate program and are not subject to the July 1, 2022 date)
According to the Bay Journal, running a typical gas-powered lawn mower for one hour releases the same amount of emissions (air pollution) as driving about 300 miles in your car.
Obtaining A Rebate
To obtain your cash rebate, bring proof of city residency* and the receipt to the Finance Department at City Hall, 15901 Fred Robinson Way. If the receipt does not specify the mower type please also bring a manual or other documentation for the mower. Again, please be sure your receipt specifies the item(s) was bought on or after July 1, 2022.
Finance Department hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. through 5 p.m. Limitations to these rebates are described above in the "What's Eligible" section. If you have questions please call 301-809-3044.
*Only residents who live within the municipal limits of the City of Bowie are eligible for these rebates. To see if your address is within the City of Bowie visit our address lookup page.
Electric lawn care tools are beneficial because they:
- Reduce emissions by not burning oil for use
- Reduce oil/gas usage significantly (assuming oil is used to power electric in your home)
- Do not create an environment where an oil spill may happen
- Save money by not having to purchase fuel