Lawn Care Equipment Rebate Programs
Lawn Mower Rebate Program Now Includes Electric Lawn Care Equipment
Want to lessen your carbon footprint, but aren't necessarily ready to purchase an electric vehicle or to partake in solar? One easy way to help the environment is by using electric lawn care tools. Many brands now have complete suites of yard tools including mowers, weed whackers, hedge trimmers and leaf blowers, with interchangeable batteries that can be used in all pieces of equipment.
What Equipment is Eligible for the Lawn Care Rebate?
- Electric mowers are eligible for a $50 rebate
- Mulching or manual mowers are also eligible for a $50 rebate
- Electric weed whackers, leaf blowers, and hedge trimmers are eligible for a $25 rebate each
- If you purchase all four items (the electric mower, hedge trimmer, weed whacker, and leaf blower) you may receive a $150 rebate
- Items must be purchased after July 1, 2022. (Mulching, manual and electric mowers are eligible under the original mower rebate program and are not subject to the July 1, 2022 date)
Making the switch to electric lawn care is not only great for your pocket, but beneficial to the environment as well. According to the California Air Resources Board, the smog-forming chemicals released from one hour of lawn mower use is equivalent to driving your car 300 miles! To the surprise of many, leaf blowers are much worse as they have a two-stroke engine and require fuel and oil. In terms of air pollutants, using a leaf blower for one hour is the equivalent of driving 1,100 miles.
The EPA also estimated that all gas-powered lawn care equipment released about 20.4 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year!
Obtaining A Rebate
To obtain your cash rebate, bring proof of City residency* and the purchase receipt to the Finance Department at City Hall, 15901 Fred Robinson Way. If the receipt does not specify the mower type please also bring a manual or other documentation for the mower. For equipment other than mowers, please ensure the receipt shows a purchase date on or after July 1, 2022.
Finance Department hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. through 5 p.m. Limitations to these rebates are described above in the "What's Eligible" section. If you have questions please contact the Sustainability Manager or call 301-809-3044.
*Only residents who live within the municipal limits of the City of Bowie are eligible for these rebates. To see if your address is within the City of Bowie visit our address lookup page.
Electric lawn care tools are beneficial because they:
- Reduce emissions by not burning oil for use
- Reduce oil/gas usage significantly (assuming oil is used to power electric in your home)
- Do not create an environment where an oil spill may happen
- Save money by not having to purchase fuel