- Low Income Water Assistance Program
Low Income Water Assistance Program
This program information provided here is for Bowie residents who receive their water from the City of Bowie Water and Sewer System. Some City residents are served by WSSC, not the City water system.
What is the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) benefit?
- LIHWAP is a one-time benefit grant of $100 - $2,000 that can be paid toward residential water and/or wastewater accounts that have accumulated arrearages.
- LIHWAP will assist in the payment of arrearages for immediate restoration of residential water and/or wastewater services and/or to prevent disconnection of service.
- Arrearages are defined as the amount past-due greater than 30 days.
- Arrearages must be a minimum of at least $100.
- Payment may include standard charges and fees included in the household water bill. (This may include standard reconnection fees)
- Benefit payment amount must satisfy the account to be in “good standing” with the utility provider.
- This can be in combination with the customer contributing to the difference between the grant amount and what is due to result in “good standing” status
Income Eligibility Limits
Effective July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022
(number of household members)
|Maximum Gross Monthly Income Standards|
(household income before taxes)
|$3,121 / month|
|$4,081 / month|
|$5,041 / month|
|$6,000 / month|
|$6,000 / month|
|$6,962 / month|
|$7,922 / month|
|$8,102 / month|
|$8,283 / month|
|For each additional person, add||$180 / month|
Residents can apply online by visiting: https://mydhrbenefits.dhr.state.md.us
How to Apply
- Remember to upload all of the required documents along with your application.
- Submitting your documents separately from your online application will delay your application.
Information Needed with Application
- Copy of applicant’s photo identification
- Proof of residency
- Copies of Social Security cards for the entire household (including children)
- Proof of your household’s total gross income for the last 30 day period
- The income guidelines for the LIHWAP program is 60% of the Median State income ($84,805 annually.) However, this program is using categorial eligibility. If you or someone in your household receives one of the following benefits at the time of the LIHWAP application, you may meet Categorical Eligibility if you can provide proof:
- Energy Assistance Programs (MEAP)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA)
- Temporary Disability Assistance (TDAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Emergency Rental Assistance (ERAP)
- Eligible means-tested Veterans Assistance (VA)
- A copy of your most recent water/wastewater bill, and termination notice (if applicable)
Additional information, and to apply for LIHWAP, can be found on the State's website: Applying for Water Assistance - Maryland Department of Human Services