Bowie Youth Council Will Provide a New Perspective to City Leaders
- Bowie students: are you in grades 6 to 12?
- Do you have an interest in City of Bowie affairs?
- Would you like to make sure that the City Council and the City government are getting a youthful perspective on local issues and needs?
Then we hope you will consider applying to join the newly established Bowie Youth Council.
The Bowie Youth Council will provide an opportunity for local students to learn about local government and have a voice in city affairs. The Council will consist of 11 City of Bowie students from grades 6-12, who will have the opportunity to influence policy, provide positive leadership and service, and engage the community. The City Council is seeking representation from each of the four Bowie districts.
The City is also seeking two Youth Council advisors to work with the students and guide the Youth Council when it is formed. Advisors will be appointed to two-year terms.
Both the student positions and the advisor positions are voluntary. No financial compensation is provided.
What is the Mission of the Youth Council?
The Bowie Youth Council will have an important role in local government. All members will work together to:
- Address policy matters affecting city youth (e.g. youth jobs, voter registration, etc.)
- Hold youth-based events
- Report to the City Council bi-monthly
- Attend City Council-appointed boards and committee meetings
- Raise issues of concern from their respective districts
What is the Time Commitment?
Youth Council members will serve a one-year term, which will begin each year in September. They will attend monthly Youth Council meetings and may also be asked to attend other City Council meetings as needed. Members are eligible to reapply annually if they meet member eligibility requirements.
What are the Qualifications?
Members must meet the following qualifications:
- Reside in the City of Bowie
- Be a student in grades 6-12
- Maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average
Interested in Serving on the Youth Council? Here's How to Apply
The Youth Council was created by City Council action on September 8, 2020. Applicants are being sought for the first term of the Youth Council which will begin in July 2021. The application deadline is April 30, 2021. Applications will be reviewed and interviews may be conducted with the selected applicants.
How do City of Bowie Boards, Councils, and Committees Operate?
The Youth Council will be one of seventeen volunteer bodies that serve the City of Bowie. These groups are advisory to the City Council and are subject to the Rules for City Committees, Boards and Commissions.(R-16-01)
No financial compensation is provided to these bodies for their service.
- Resolution creating Bowie Youth Council
- Resolution governing City Committees (R-16-01)
- Youth Council Application
- Youth Council Advisor Application
Please contact the City Clerk's Office for information about the selection process.