Jesuit Retreat Center
***On February 25, the applicant contacted the City Planning Department and requested that the matter be withdrawn from the agenda of the March 1, 2021 City Council meeting. No further details are available at this time.***
Jesuit Property Retreat Center Proposal
Representatives of The Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) recently contacted the City for the purpose of presenting a new concept for a portion of their property to build a religious retreat center. The proposal is in its early stages, and the Jesuits would like to obtain community feedback on the idea of a retreat center. At this point, all that is known is that the project would consist of approximately 45,000 square feet on about 36 acres of land located on the south side of MD 450, between Sacred Heart Church and Race Track Road. A stakeholders meeting was held on December 1, 2020.
2/25/21: The Jesuit Property Proposal was scheduled to be discussed at March 1, 2021 City Council Meeting but that discussion is now postponed until further notice.
Religious Retreat Center operated by The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) on approximately 36 acres (estimated that 8-10% of the site would be used for buildings and parking)
Proposal: An approximately 45,000 square foot religious retreat facility
Location: South side of MD 450, between Sacred Heart Church and Race Track Road
Acreage/Zoning: 36 acres acres/Zoned R-A (Residential Agriculture)
- Zoning Text Amendment to permit a religious retreat center in the R-A zone;
- Preliminary Plan of subdivision;
- Detailed Site Plan (TBD)
Most Recent Approval
At this time, no formal application has been submitted.
Current Proposal Documents
- Notice of Presentation to Council - 2-12-21
- Traffic Evaluation Memo – Lenhart Traffic Consulting, Inc. (dated 11/16/20)
- Jesuit Retreat Center Stakeholder Meeting Presentation 12-1-20
- Status Report – Jesuit Retreat Center Stakeholders Meeting Summary - 12-3-20
- Stakeholders Meeting Video - 12-1-20