- Doing Business
- Business License
Business License - Do I Need One in Bowie?
- The City of Bowie does not license most businesses. The majority of businesses may be required to obtain a valid Prince George’s County Business License. To determine if your business requires this license, contact the Clerk of the Circuit Court at 301-952-3331.
- The City of Bowie DOES require you get a City license if you rent single or multifamily housing, or if you are a "peddler" or "solicitor". Peddler's and Solicitor's License . Any person engaged within the City of Bowie in the business of a peddler or a solicitor, e.g. you leave flyers, offer a service, take orders or sell door-to-door or set up on the street or sidewalk, is requited to obtain a City of Bowie license.
- The City of Bowie has a rental licensing program for single family and multifamily rental dwellings. The owner of every rental property is required to obtain and maintain a rental license. No license s required when at least one of the property owners reside at the property address. Rental Housing Program License Licensing Info
The type of your business will determine the necessary licenses and permits required. Below are some common ones:
- Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) – Also known as a federal tax identification number, the EIN is used to identify a business entity. Visit www.irs.com for more information.
- Register Business Name – A new business in Maryland must register their business name with the State Department of Assessment and Taxation (SDAT). Business owners can search for available business names and find information about registering at www.dat.state.md.us or call 410-767-1340.
- Maryland Business License – Nearly every business requires a Maryland Business License. These are administered by the State of Maryland. *The City of Bowie does not have a separate business license.* Business licenses may be obtained at the Prince George’s County Courthouse Clerk of the Circuit Court - 14735 Main Street Upper Marlboro, MD 20772, 301-952-3318. For additional information, contact the State License Bureau at 410-260-6240 or www.commerce.maryland.gov.
- State Sales & Use Tax ID # - Many businesses also require a Sales Tax Identification number, obtained through the State Comptroller’s office.Marylandtaxes.gov.
Additional Information on State and Local Business License Requirements
Department of Business and Economic Development
State and local governments require many industries to have permits or licenses to operate. A business license is required for most businesses, including retailers and wholesalers. A trader's license is required for buying and re-selling goods. And you, or the professionals you hire, may need individual occupational and professional licenses. It is important to check at the state and local level to determine what licenses and permits you may need.
State Licenses: Maryland's OneStop licensing portal allows you to search for and register for licenses and permits issued by state agencies. If you have specific questions about statewide licenses, or the status of your license, contact the Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulations.