The proposed Amber Ridge project consists of 200 town homes and up to 20,000 sq. ft. of retail/commercial space on US 301, south of Mitchellville Road. City Council will hold a public hearing on this proposal on Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 8 p.m. Read on...
A development of 80 single homes is proposed to be built in the northern part of the city, near old MD 197. Bowie's Advisory Planning Board will hold a public hearing on a Preliminary Plan for Pecan Ridge Subdivision on Tues.,12/10, 7 p.m. at City Hall. Read on...
South Lake – The 381-acre mixed-use property was recently annexed by the City in 2019. As planned, the mixed-use development includes 555,000 sq. ft. to 620,000 sq. ft. of retail/office uses, three hotels with a total of 375 to 400 rooms/keys; and 1360 dwelling units including 325 multifamily apartment units, 128 two-family attached condominium units, 563 townhouse units and 344 single family detached units.
Proposal: A total of 1,360 dwelling units, 555,000 sq. ft. to 620,000 sq. ft. of retail/office space and 375 to 400 hotel rooms/keys. The entire site is currently being graded for infrastructure installation.
Location: Southwest quadrant of US 301 and MD 214
Acreage/Zoning: 381.52 acres/Zoned E-I-A (Employment and Institutional Area) with mixed-use community designation
- Conceptual Site Plan (completed 2004);
- Preliminary Plan of subdivision (completed 2004, latest reconsideration approved by Prince George's County in 2019);
- Detailed Site Plan for 1,035 dwelling units, 5,272 sq. ft. clubhouse and recreational amenities (under review 2019)
- Detailed Site Plans for individual building sites
A Conceptual Site Plan and Preliminary Plan of subdivision for the original mixed-use plan were approved by Prince George’s County in 2004 and included 650,000 square feet of office use, 343,000 square feet of retail use, two hotels and 1,294 dwelling units. A reconsideration and revised Preliminary Plan of subdivision was approved by the County Planning Board on February 16, 2017 that resulted in the following development quantities: 475,000 square feet of retail commercial, 200,000 square feet of employment uses, 390 hotel rooms, and 1,294 dwelling units, including 136 single-family detached units, 664 townhouse units, 390 multi-family units and 104 two-family units. In January, 2019 a Preliminary Plan of subdivision was approved re-configuring 11 acres of the previous plan, resulting in 29 additional single-family detached dwelling units and 37 additional single family attached dwelling units.
Most Recent Approval
Preliminary Plan #4-17027
January 10, 2019 - The Prince George’s County Planning Board unanimously approved Preliminary Plan #4-17027 for South Lake. On September 17, 2018, City Council voted to recommend approval with five conditions.
December 3, 2018 – City Council approved Resolution R-76-18 establishing a maximum number of permissible dwelling units at South Lake. The approved covenant limits the number of building permits for residential dwelling units to no more than 1,360 dwelling units, excluding age-restricted dwelling units, for a period of 15 years after the City’s annexation becomes effective. It also makes reference to the developer being responsible for certain transportation improvements at the intersection of Trade Zone Avenue and US 301.
June 6, 2016 – City Council approved Resolution R-18-16 authorizing the City Manager to execute an annexation agreement with Karington, LLC.
In 2016, the developer requested approval of a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District, asking both Prince George’s County and the City of Bowie for assistance in financing the cost of the project’s infrastructure improvements. A TIF District was designated by the Prince George’s County Council and approved in 2018.
Documents/Videos related to the Current Project
- South Lake BAPB Staff Report 11-8-2019
- South Lake BAPB Meeting Video 11-12-2019
- South Lake Stakeholders Meeting Status Report from 9-12-2019
- South Lake Stakeholders Presentation 9-12-2019
- Preliminary Plan #4-17027
- Status Report - 1-10-2019
- Signed Covenant Document - 1-8-2019
- Annexation Agreement 6-7-2016
- South Lake DSP-19023 sheets 01-09
- South Lake DSP-19023 sheets 10-18
- South Lake DSP-19023 sheets 19-27
- South Lake DSP-19023 sheets 28-36
- South Lake DSP-19023 sheets 37-44
- South Lake DSP-19023 sheets 45-50
- South Lake LSLP-DSP-19023 sheets 1-8
- South Lake LSLP-DSP-19023 sheets 9-16
- South Lake LSLP-DSP-19023 sheets 17-24
- South Lake LSLP-DSP-19023 sheets 25-32
- South Lake LSLP-DSP-19023 sheets 33-40
- South Lake LSLP-DSP-19023 sheets 41-48
- South Lake LSLP-DSP-19023 sheets 49-53
- South Lake LSLP-DSP-19023 sheets 54-57