Public Works

  1. Attention Residents Affected by the Kenilworth Water Main Project

    If you live on one of the streets in Kenilworth that is part of the current water main replacement project, please read the following message from the Public Works Department about your water bill. Read on...
  2. Utility Work- Kenilworth Section

    The City of Bowie has contracted with J. Fletcher Creamer & Son, Inc. to replace and/or structurally line approximately 1.7 miles of water mains located in the Kenilworth neighborhood. Read on...
  3. Free Paper Shredding & Styrofoam Recycling Event on June 10

    Safely dispose of personal documents at our next free shredding and Styrofoam recycling event on June 10, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. It takes place at Public Works in the Solid Waste/Recycling parking lot located at 16300 Annapolis Road. Read on...
View All

Services Provided

The Public Works Department provides services to residents such as trash and recycling collection, leaf collection, maintenance of roads, sidewalks, curbs and gutter, street lights, and snow plowing operations.

Water & Wastewater

The city maintains its own water and wastewater systems. The city water plant handles the treatment and distribution of all potable water within the city system. The city system provides water and sewer service to approximately half of city residents, located primarily in the Levitt sections of Bowie north of Route 50. The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) services the remainder of city residents.

Trash & Recycling

The Public Works Department handles trash and recycling collection. The City collects non-recyclable refuse from its residents twice weekly, according to a published schedule.

Glass, cans, plastic, and paper (including cardboard, paperboard, telephone books, office paper, and junk mail), are collected weekly by curbside pickup. The City operates a drop-off facility for used oil, filters, and antifreeze just inside the Public Works Department entrance on Route 450. Yard waste is also collected weekly and taken to the County’s yard waste facility near Upper Marlboro.


The Public Works Department is also responsible for the approval, issuance, and inspection of all public improvement permits for new construction within the city.