Bowie Gym Open for Limited Activities - Updated Information (11/23/20)
The following activities are permitted at the City of Bowie Gymnasium
Basketball is not permitted
Per COVID restrictions imposed by Prince George's County, sports that are characterized as high risk are prohibited. Basketball is considered a high contact/high risk sport. The City has been advised by the County that all basketball activities are prohibited at the Gymnasium until further notice.
Who Can Use the Gym?
- The Gym is open to members who may bring up to two non-member guests.
- Memberships are available only to residents within the corporate city limits.
- If you are a resident and would like apply for membership or renew your membership, please call 301-809-2388 to make an appointment.
Hours of Operation
The Gym is open Monday through Friday from 12 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Members are encouraged to call ahead to reserve a time slot, but are not required to do so. Sessions are currently available at the following times:
- 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Walkers are welcome at any time during open hours.
Limited Court Rentals
Organizations may rent available court space for volleyball and pickleball activity only. As a high risk sport, basketball activities of any sort are no longer permitted at the Gym.
All County, State and Federal COVID guidance must be followed at all times. For details contact Duncan Churches (301-809-2384 or email). All rental times must coincide with times of available sessions.
Other Rules in Place
- All members must show their membership cards when entering.
- Signed COVID-19 waivers must be completed by everyone entering the facility. This includes both guests and members.
- Parents/legal guardians must sign for youth members under the age of 18.
- Youth members must always be under adult supervision with no more than four youths per supervising adult.
- Only members with valid membership cards can be on the playing surfaces.
- Parents/adults without memberships must remain in the spectator areas.
- All social distancing guidelines will be enforced. Everyone must remain 6 feet apart.
- Everyone entering the facility is required to wear a mask at all times and in all areas such as restrooms, hallways, lobby, and spectator areas and the playing surfaces of the court.
About the Facility
The City of Bowie Municipal Gymnasium is located on Northview Drive, next to the Bowie Senior Center. This 27,000-square foot facility has two full-sized basketball courts (one 84-feet x 50-feet and the other 90-feet x 50-feet) overlaid with two intermediate basketball courts (74-feet by 42-feet). It is also overlaid to accommodate four volleyball courts (30-feet by 60-feet), which can also be used for young basketball players.
The gym can be partitioned into quarters with ceiling to floor curtains to allow for several activities at the same time. The facility also includes two team rooms that can be divided into four smaller rooms, a sitting and concession area, and office and storage rooms. No fitness equipment is provided at this facility.
For walkers: 11 times around the perimeter of the Gym equals one mile.