- Trash and Recycling
- Bulk items
Most bulk items such as wooden furniture, mattresses, and other household items can be put out with regular trash. Mattresses must be sealed in a plastic bag or wrapped in plastic, secured with tape. A mattress bag can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowe's, Target or other local hardware stores.
Large Metal Items & Tires Require a Special Pickup Appointment
Appliances and other large metal items, and tires are handled separately from other collections because they can be recycled. They are collected by appointment only
Schedule a Special Pickup
- Call the Solid Waste Division at 301-809-2338 (or 2344)
- Submit a request via our online service request system.
You will be notified (by phone or email) of the date to set your special pickup items out for collection. Every effort will be made to schedule collections within 3 weeks of the request.
Special Pickup - Acceptable Items
Metal items (98% metal)
- Metal cabinets or shelves
- Other metal furniture
- Grills (no propane tanks)
- Metal fence posts (chain link fabric & chicken wire cannot be accepted but may be placed with regular trash for collection
- Dryers, microwaves, stoves, ovens
- Washing machines, dishwashers
- Refrigerators and freezers (make sure door is removed or securely tied closed)
- Water heaters
- Furnaces, air conditioners
- Residents may have up to four automobile tires collected each year. No commercial tires will be collected.
Special Pickup - Unacceptable Items
The items below are not eligible for Special Pickup:
- Items that are not 98% metal
- Propane tanks or other compressed gas cylinders
- Vacuum cleaners (may be disposed of with regular trash)
- Electronics items such as televisions, computers, printers, A/V equipment
(See our page on More Waste and Recycling Resources)