Health Benefits

Benefit Plan Options


The city offers nine different health benefit plan options to employees. The City pays 75% of the insurance premiums and the employee pays 25%. A brief description of each is listed below.

Carefirst BlueChoice HMO with Prescription (Rx) and Vision


With the HMO plan you must stay in the HMO network of participating providers to receive benefits. There is no deductible, you just pay the appropriate co-pays at time of service. The co-pays are $20 for primary care providers and $30 for specialists. Prescription coverage is with Carefirst. Vision coverage is with Vision Service Plan (VSP).

*This plan is also offered with a dental plan option. Dental coverage is provided by United Concordia Companies, Inc. (UCCI).

Carefirst BlueChoice Point of Service (POS) with Prescription and Vision


With POS coverage you decide if you want to use a network provider OR go out of the network at the time you obtain services. You receive maximum benefits if you use in-network providers. If you choose a provider not in Carefirst's network, Carefirst will pay their allotted amount (80%) after a $300 deductible is met. The provider may choose to bill you for the remaining 20% of the cost of services. The co-pays for this plan are $20 for primary care providers and $30 for specialists. Prescription coverage is with Carefirst. Vision coverage is with Vision Service Plan (VSP).

*This plan is also offered with a dental plan option. Dental coverage is provided by United Concordia Companies, Inc. (UCCI).

Carefirst High Deductible HMO with Health Savings Account with Prescription and Vision


With this plan you must stay in the network. Most medical and prescription expenses are subject to a deductible that will be funded by the City through a health savings account. After the deductible is met, you will pay office visit and prescription co-pays the same as the basic HMO plan, however the copays are less. Preventive care including well-child visits, adult physicals, routine GYN visits, mammograms and cancer screenings will be covered in full with no deductible or co-pays. The co-pays are $15 for primary care providers and $25 for specialists. Prescription coverage is with Carefirst. Vision coverage is with Vision Service Plan (VSP).

*This plan is also offered with a dental plan option. Dental coverage is provided by United Concordia Companies, Inc. (UCCI).

Vision and Prescription Only


This option is for vision coverage with Vision Service Plan (VSP) and prescription coverage with Express Scripts. You do not have medical or dental coverage under this plan. You receive maximum benefits if you use an in-network provider with VSP. This plan is free to employees who choose it. The vision coverage under this plan is not as extensive as the coverage under the other plan options.

Vision, Prescription and Dental Only


This plan offers the same vision coverage as the health benefits options. It is an improved plan over the Vision and Prescription Only plan. You do not have medical coverage under this plan. Vision coverage is with Vision Service Plan (VSP). Prescription coverage is with Express Scripts and dental coverage is with United Concordia Companies, Inc. (UCCI). You receive maximum benefits if you use an in-network provider for vision and dental coverage.

Waive Health and/or Vision, Prescription and Dental Insurance


If you are insured under another qualified health plan, you can choose to waive your City health coverage. If you choose to waive health insurance coverage, the City will credit you $1,500 to your take-home pay spread out over 26 payrolls.

You may also choose to waive your Vision, Prescription and Dental insurance. If you choose this option, the City will credit $250 to your take-home pay spread out over 26 payrolls.