On November 15, 2016 at 7 p.m. at City Hall there will be a hearing before the Bowie Advisory Planning Board on the apartments proposed to be built at the rear of Bowie Marketplace. Read on...
Bowie Marketplace Shopping Center Opened October 2016The first group of stores opened in October, with many more to follow.
BE Bowie LLC has filed a Conceptual Site Plan application for the purpose of constructing a multi-story, residential apartment building with surface and garage parking. The 5.3 acre site of the proposed building is located in the southern (rear) portion of the Marketplace property, which has frontage on Annapolis Road (MD Route 450), Superior Lane, and Sage Lane. The property is zoned Commercial Shopping Center (C-S-C). The 2006 Bowie and Vicinity Master Plan recommends a Mixed-Use/Residential land use for this property.
Bowie Marketplace Residential Proposal:
Two informational Stakeholders Meetings were held with neighborhood residents on March 8, 2016 and April 14, 2016. At the second Stakeholders Meeting, the developer proposed a maximum 50-foot building height along with: the construction of a flat roof for the entire structure (rather than a peaked roof); a reduction in the number of stories from five to four in the southern and western sections of the building (the other areas will remain at five stories); and a decrease in the number of rental dwelling units from 300 to 285 units.
Site plans for construction of apartments at Marketplace have been received and a public hearing will be scheduled at City Hall, before the Bowie Advisory Planning Board. At least two weeks’ notice will be provided for the public hearing, and notice letters will be mailed to all persons of record and to all properties within 500 feet of the development site. In addition, the City will post signs around the property advertising the public hearing date.
After a recommendation has been made by the Advisory Planning Board, a City Council public hearing will be scheduled. Under the terms of a Development Agreement, the City Council has sole and absolute discretion regarding approval of a Conceptual Site Plan, and Berman Enterprises is precluded from requesting approval of plans from Prince George’s County unless the City has first approved them.
Bowie Marketplace Background Information:
- Marketplace Residential Proposal - BAPB Public Hearing Nov 15 (Notice)
- Rendered Elevations
- Preliminary Plan of Subdivision #4-16028
- Detailed Site Plan
- Conceptual Site Plan
- Alternative Compliance Landscape Plan
- Stakeholders Meeting Memo to Bowie City Council dated March 10, 2016
- Second Stakeholders Meeting Memo to Bowie City Council dated April 21, 2016
- Developer's PowerPoint Presentation from Second Stakeholders Meeting
- City's Planning Department's PowerPoint from Second Stakeholders Meeting
- Traffic Impact Analysis for Bowie Marketplace - March 12, 2016
- Berman Development Agreement
- Pages from the Development Pattern Element
- "Bowie Master Plan - Bowie Mainstreet"
Videos about the Bowie Marketplace Project
Press Conference Announcing Marketplace Project
(March 5, 2015)
Demolition of Bowie Marketplace to make way for the new Marketplace Project
(April 28, 2015)
Stakeholders Meeting #1 re: Marketplace Residential Housing Proposal
(March 8, 2016)
Stakeholders Meeting #2 re: Marketplace Residential Housing Proposal
(April 14, 2016)
Zoning Text Amendment Background
- Final Text Amendment approve by Prince George's County Council
- Letter to County Council from City Council
- City Manager's recommendation dated May 14, 2015
- Berman Enterprises' Letter of Request